Recipe by Aine McGrath, Longford
2-3 chicken breasts, cut into 2cm cubes
Salt & pepper
1 onion, chopped
3 tablespoon tomato puree
1 dessert spoon mild curry powder (according to taste)
1 pint chicken stock
1 eating apple cored and thinly sliced
1 small carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
1 slice of lemon
1 heaped teaspoon brown sugar
The nutritional analysis does not include the basmati rice.
TIPS: To help reduce the salt content, use low/reduced salt chicken stock
To help increase the fibre content of the meal, choose brown or brown basmati rice (where available)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Put some flour in a bowl and season, toss chicken pieces in flour til completely coated.
- Heat oil in pan and fry chicken til completely brown.
- Absorb excess oil on kitchen paper and put in casserole dish.
- Fry onion till golden, then add tomato purée and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the curry powder and cook for one minute - low heat.
- Stir in a tablespoon of flour, cook for a further minute, and add half the stock and stir well.
- Add apple, carrots, lemon, bay leaf and sultanas and the rest of the stock.
- Season with brown sugar salt and pepper.
- Pour over chicken in casserole dish, cover and cook in oven for 35-45 minutes.
- Once cooked remove lemon and bay leaf.
- Serve with Basmati rice.
Per serving: 270g
|Total Fat (g)|
|Saturated Fat (g)|